The Student Development Office can provide financial and logistical support to students wanting to set up their own events.
Please complete an application form and return it to the Student Development Office.
Student-led Initiatives application form (Word doc.)
Managing Your Event
The SDO can provide some logistical support but it is expected that you will organise all aspects of your event yourself. You should keep a record of your finances. Please inform us in advance if you are arranging for invoices to be sent directly to the SDO.
- Room Bookings
Please note that due to Covid-19 and social distancing guidelines, all events should be delivered online until further notice.
To book rooms within the university please email the SDO with the following details:
- Event date(s) and time
- Preferred location (if room booking required) and likely numbers
When booking rooms within the university please note the following:
- During semester it will be highly unlikely that you will be able to book a teaching room for any significant length of time. The Practice Suite or the 6th Floor Staff Room ) in the CMB could be possible alternative venues.
- If you are booking a university room outwith the normal opening hours of a building there will be a charge (this is University of Edinburgh policy). For a full day booking on a Saturday in the CMB, this is around £200.
It may be possible to hold your event in a venue outwith the university. In order to pay for this, the SDO would need to raise a Purchase Order prior to the event and it would then be paid on receipt of invoice. It is no longer possible for you to pay the invoice up front and claim back on expenses - those expenses would not be reimbursed.
The university has an internal delivered catering service (Edinburgh First) which offers tea, coffee and lunches. You can order directly from Edinburgh First but it is cheaper for the SDO to do this by using the internal online booking system. To order catering you should contact the SDO stating the exact details of your order (item details, quantity, delivery and post-event collection times, location).
It may be possible to order catering from an outside service. To pay for this, the SDO must raise a Purchase Order prior to the event and it would then be paid on receipt of invoice. It is no longer possible for you to pay the invoice up front and claim back on expenses - those expenses would not be reimbursed.
If you need to book accommodation, there are a few options:
- You or the attendee can book and pay for the accommodation and then claim it back on expenses. See the expenses section for more information on how to do this
- the SDO can book internal university accommodation, visit Edinburgh First to view available options. You will need to provide dates, accommodation required and name(s) (including title) of the guest(s)
- The university has contracts with a number of local hotels who are happy to receive payment on receipt of an invoice. To book one of those hotels, the SDO will need to raise a Purchase Order prior to the stay and it will then be paid on receipt of invoice
Payment for travel operates on a claim-back basis, either the attendee should pay for it up front and claim back on expenses or you can book on their behalf and claim back on expenses. It is possible to provide you with an advance of expenses if required.
It will not be possible for all of the expenditure to be paid for via invoice or internal transfer, it is therefore likely that you will have to pay upfront for some costs and claim back on expenses. In order to claim expenses you must complete an expenses form and return it to the SDO along with your itemised receipts. You must keep all receipts as any expenditure without receipts will not be reimbursed, in line with the University of Edinburgh expenses policy.
Expenses payments to UK bank accounts should be paid around 1-2 weeks from submission of the expenses claim form and receipts, however if the expenses are being paid to a foreign bank account they can take longer.
Advance of expenses: if you cannot afford the costs up front we can offer an advance of expenses. For information on how to receive an advance please contact the SDO (firstname.lastname@example.org). You should allow at least three weeks before you will be making any expenditure - it can take that long to receive the advance in your account. As with the general expenses, you must keep all your receipts. Further instructions will be provided to you if your advance of expenses is approved.