The School of Social and Political Science (SSPS) Professional Development Awards are a series of year-long events and activities designed to strengthen your CV and help you stand out to employers.
The focus is on developing and implementing transferable soft skills as an integrated part of your studies.
The Awards provide evidence of your ongoing commitment to developing professional skills and boosting employability. They encourage you to view your professional development as a three-step process:
- Identifying the skills that you want to develop
- Learning about the skills through training workshops
- Putting your new skills to practical use through a series of 'impact' activities
- What are employers looking for?
We all know the job market is really tough, but the good news is that the activities you do outside of your degree do count for potential employers.
Employers are looking for you to have a proven commitment to personal development and that you are confidently able to articulate your skills and abilities.
With so many people competing in the graduate job market every year, just having a degree may no longer be enough.
Employers want university graduates who are ready for work - they’ll be investing in you and they want to know they’ll get a return on that investment.
Employers look for graduates who:
- are self-aware
- capitalise on their strengths
- will have impact wherever they work
- are committed to personal development and life-long learning
- can confidently provide evidence for these claims
The SSPS Professional Development Awards can help you with stand out from the crowd, adding something extra to your CV.
- SSPS Edinburgh Award for Professional Development
- SSPS Professional Development Certificate